Pages

Friday, September 11, 2009

Why You Should Use a Cane



Hello everyone! My name is Tracy and I am currently a member of the Vision Dynamics team. I have Macular Degeneration and Retinitis Pigmentosa and have had some exciting experiences using a cane. I'd love to share with you some ideas about moving more safely in your neighborhood and community.

First, it is a great way to communicate to others that you have a site problem. It takes the guess work out of the situation Many times when you have low vision you bump into things or may look a little disoriented. The cane puts it out there that you are visually impaired and not drunk.

Many folks think they don’t need it but don’t realize that they usually walk in the same places most of the time and become very familiar in their environment. It is when they are in a new place that they have difficulty. They don’t want to admit it and think that they have fooled everyone. It is hard to let everyone know you have a problem, but by doing so you are becoming part of those who are ambassadors for taking the steps necessary to be independent.

When using a cane you gather so much more information about the surface you are walking on. I do much better along with a cane than I do when someone is leading me. When you put your mobility into someone else’s hands, you are leaving it up to their interpretation.

0 comments: